Hi all! What is the significance of the Juzu beads? I have asked my sponsor and he knew what the beads meant but not why we chant with them. I was hoping someone might know as this has really piqued my curiosity.

Thank you!

Views: 606

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow Frankie that was the best explanation I ever heard.
Thank you so much for sharing that : )

PEACE
Fantastic explanation :-) Thank you
Dear Tabitha,
THE SIGNIFICANCE OF JUZU BEADS

In the practice of Nichiren Buddhism, we hold juzu beads in our hands while reciting Gongyo and chanting Daimoku.

There are 108 beads in the main body, signifying the 108 Earthly Desires
The 4 smaller beads in the main body represent the 4 Great Bodhisattvas of the Earth….Jogyo, Muhengyo, Jyogyo, and Anryugyo.
The 2 large beads at each end of the main body, are the “parent” beads. The “mother” bead, representing “mystic” is on the side with 3 dangles, and is placed over the middle finger of the right hand. The “father” bead, representing “law” is on the side with 2 dangles, and is placed on the middle finger of the left hand.
We cross the beads in the middle, which shows our oneness with THE LAW. Also, we cross the beads so our benefits do not fall through our hands and lives. By placing the beads on our hands this way, we are accepting the reality that Buddhahood exists within our lives.
When we press our hands together while we hold our juzu beads, our 10 fingers represent the 10 Worlds which fuse together simultaneously in the life of a Buddha, our lives. Our life is now one with the Mystic Law!
The one small bead that sits below the “father” bead, represents Absolute Truth.
Prior to Nichiren Buddhism, there were only 2 dangles on each end of juzu beads. The third dangle, consisting of 10 beads and a "Kosen-Rufu" bead, on the side of the “mother” was added, actually tied on, to signify Nichiren Buddhism and distinguish it from other sects of Buddhism.
On the remaining 4 dangles, there is a differently shaped bead part way down each string. This bead is called the “jar” bead and holds the benefits of our practice.
The 5 larger beads at the bottom of each dangle are the “Kosen-Rufu” beads, and represent our desire to spread Nichiren Buddhism, Kosen-Rufu, throughout the World.
Hi Frank,

Maybe an idea to upload the word document attachment also as Word 97-2003 document (.doc)?
Not everyone uses MS Office 2007/ MS Word 2007.
Please think of those members too.
Greetz,
André de Wit
The Netherlands
Hi Andre,

Thank you for highlighting the difficulties of opening the file by some members. What I will do is I will repost the article again. Once again thank you very much.

Have a good day.

regards,
frankie
Please look up Hindu Mala Beads. The ones I buy from the SGI bookstore usually have 160 beads just in the center. Please explain. I was never told to chant daimoku 108 times. We would be done at the center in one tenth the time if we did. I know that the Hindu Mantra is done like that, though.

SGI bookstores sell sets that have 112 beads in the main body, two knuckle ones, and 45 on the ends. And it isn't "juzu beads", that's redundant. Juzu IS beads. Prayer beads. And we are not told to chant 108 times, we chant much more than that. 108 Daimoku would only take like a minute or two. Most chant a whole lot longer than that.

Arika

I know this is an old discussion but Frankies explanation is great..........thanks

Does anyone know the name of the protective 'cloth' that we wrap our beads in ?
Thank you for the excellent explanation of my Juzu beads. Mystic Law. It was truly beautiful
you can get a clear explanation by checking out www.sgi-usa.org under the new member's section. hope this helps

RSS

Latest Activity

Noriyo A. Sekiyama added 2 discussions to the group "To My Friends"--daily guidance based on Pres. Ikeda's recent guidance
2 hours ago
Noriyo A. Sekiyama added a discussion to the group "To My Friends"--daily guidance based on Pres. Ikeda's recent guidance
Thumbnail

TMF TUE 16 JAN 2018--Courageous and tenacious actions will open the way to kosen-rufu!

January 16, 2018 --TO MY FRIENDS-- Courageous and tenacious actions   will open the way to…See More
yesterday
Noriyo A. Sekiyama added a discussion to the group "To My Friends"--daily guidance based on Pres. Ikeda's recent guidance
Thumbnail

WOW MON 15 JAN 2018--Let's hold lively discussion meetings!

January 15, 2018 --WORDS OF THE WEEK-- Our districts are the "mother port"   for kosen-rufu. Let's…See More
Monday
Noriyo A. Sekiyama added 2 discussions to the group "To My Friends"--daily guidance based on Pres. Ikeda's recent guidance
Saturday
Thumbnail

TMF FRI 12 JAN 2018--Never take unnecessary risks in the snow!

January 12, 2018 --TO MY FRIENDS-- Beware of snowdrifts and icy roads. Make safety your number one…See More
Friday
Arthur Ward left a comment for Toshizo Saejima
"Thank You"
Jan 11
Toshizo Saejima left a comment for Arthur Ward
"Welcome aboard, Arthur!"
Jan 11
Arthur Ward is now a member of SGI Buddhism (.net)
Jan 11

SGI Buddhism is a community created by members of SGI. SGI Buddhism is not an official site of SGI.

SGIBuddhism.net Admin

If you have questions or need to report site issues please contact me through one of these social networks.

LinkedIn / Goodreads / G+ / Instagram / Facebook / Homeless

Thanks
Chris Tinney 
SGI Profile

© 2018   Created by Chris Tinney.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service