THE SIGNIFICANCE OF JUZU BEADS

In the practice of Nichiren Buddhism, we hold juzu beads in our hands while reciting Gongyo and chanting Daimoku.

There are 108 beads in the main body, signifying the 108 Earthly Desires

The 4 smaller beads in the main body represent the 4 Great Bodhisattvas of the Earth….Jogyo, Muhengyo, Jyogyo, and Anryugyo.

The 2 large beads at each end of the main body, are the “parent” beads. The “mother” bead, representing “mystic” is on the side with 3 dangles, and is placed over the middle finger of the right hand. The “father” bead, representing “law” is on the side with 2 dangles, and is placed on the middle finger of the left hand.

We cross the beads in the middle, which shows our oneness with THE LAW. Also, we cross the beads so our benefits do not fall through our hands and lives. By placing the beads on our hands this way, we are accepting the reality that Buddhahood exists within our lives.

When we press our hands together while we hold our juzu beads, our 10 fingers represent the 10 Worlds which fuse together simultaneously in the life of a Buddha, our lives. Our life is now one with the Mystic Law!

The one small bead that sits below the “father” bead, represents Absolute Truth.

Prior to Nichiren Buddhism, there were only 2 dangles on each end of juzu beads. The third dangle, consisting of 10 beads and a "Kosen-Rufu" bead, on the side of the “mother” was added, actually tied on, to signify Nichiren Buddhism and distinguish it from other sects of Buddhism.

On the remaining 4 dangles, there is a differently shaped bead part way down each string. This bead is called the “jar” bead and holds the benefits of our practice.

The 5 larger beads at the bottom of each dangle are the “Kosen-Rufu” beads, and represent our desire to spread Nichiren Buddhism, Kosen-Rufu, throughout the World.

source: www.myohobeads.com

Views: 2897

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually the beads are there to remind you the discipline of chanting -- to concentrate, actually try to keep still, eyes forward, posture straight, feet flat on the ground and your attention focused on the gohonzon. And rubbing your beads is fine as long as you're not sawing wood, be mindful that constantly rubbing your beads (noisily) when chanting in the company of others may actually be distracting or annoying to your fellow members. My old girlfriend used to chant and 'rock' in her chair. I never corrected her as she was still back then a relatively new member and actually helped her concentrate to keep chanting. Each person is different
Thank you so much for this wonderfully concise and educational explanation. am printing the attached docx document (after saving it in the older, more widely accepted doc format) to hand out to the members at our next group meeting.
i burned one of the kosenrufu parts, should i replace it. am i damaging the buddhism
Hi thanks so much for the explaination bt what i have learned about the beads is entirely different it does not say that the larger beads are mother or father or even it has kosen rufu beads... instead what i have heard from seniors here is that holding the beads is holding our life in our hands where the side with 3 dangles depicts our hands and head and the other side depicts our legs and the long string depicts our life, holding the beads while doing gongyo and daimaku means holding your life in your hand n when we rub it then we can change the entire poison into medicine, that is our negativities as well.

Please help with me the clarification so that i can correct myself if following something wrong. Thanks again.
Cheers
Ruchi :)
Easy to understand such profound significance to the Juzu Beads.

Thanks a million!

Keep up this encouraging works
very simple yet most enlightening.

I guess buddhism is simple but the benefit is so far reaching.

Just like the single phrase Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.

a single phrase to chant and the benefits are profound and far reaching.

keep up the encouraging work.

thanks.
Frankie,

Thanx, from a "newbie" thirsty for knowledge!!! :-)

Jenn :-)
Thank you so much! It explains why I finger certain parts more often...
Can you please tell me where did you find you research information

RSS

Latest Activity

Noriyo A. Sekiyama added a discussion to the group "To My Friends"--daily guidance based on Pres. Ikeda's recent guidance
Thumbnail

TMF FRI 24 NOV 2017--Let's foster others to become more capable than ourselves

November 24, 2017 --TO MY FRIENDS-- Let's foster our juniors and   new members into individuals  …See More
20 hours ago
Noriyo A. Sekiyama added 2 discussions to the group "To My Friends"--daily guidance based on Pres. Ikeda's recent guidance
yesterday
DAVID MORGAN shared EC LIM's blog post on Facebook
Tuesday
Noriyo A. Sekiyama added 2 discussions to the group "To My Friends"--daily guidance based on Pres. Ikeda's recent guidance
Monday
Valerie Boakye updated their profile
Sunday
Noriyo A. Sekiyama added 4 discussions to the group "To My Friends"--daily guidance based on Pres. Ikeda's recent guidance
Saturday
Toshizo Saejima left a comment for Katie Stewart
"Welcome aboard, Katie!"
Nov 17
Katie Stewart is now a member of SGI Buddhism (.net)
Nov 17

SGI Buddhism is a community created by members of SGI. SGI Buddhism is not an official site of SGI.

SGIBuddhism.net Admin

If you have questions or need to report site issues please contact me through one of these social networks.

LinkedIn / Goodreads / G+ / Instagram / Facebook / Homeless

Thanks
Chris Tinney 
SGI Profile

© 2017   Created by Chris Tinney.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service